Department of Economic and Social Geography
- About the Department
- Lecturers' schedule
About the Department
Department of Economic and Social Geography was founded in 1944.
The First Head of Department – Candidate of Geographic Sciences, Assoc. Prof. Vaschenko Opanas (Afanasii) Trokhymovych (1908-1984). During the period of 1984-1990 the functions of the Head of Department were executed alternatively by Assoc. Prof. Parobetskyi M. M. (1984-1986), Honak M. I. (1986-1988) and Prof. Zastavnyi F. D. (1988-1990). Since 1990 the Head of Department has been Prof. Shablii O. I.
Currently 17 employees are working at the Department including two professors – doctors of sciences, eight associate professors – candidates of sciences, four lecturers including two candidates of sciences, head of university laboratory, three engineers, three senior laboratory assistants. Eight postgraduate students (five of them on a full-time basis) and five external doctoral candidates are currently studying.
The Department executes a state budget project “Social-geographic problems of the Western Ukrainian region within the framework of European Integration and Eastern Partnership” and participates in executing an inter-department project VS-143F “Natural and social-geographic potential as a factor of fighting social-economic developmental recession (a case study of the Carpathian region of Ukraine)” (Scientific Supervisor Prof. Shablii O. I.).
The Department prepares highly qualified Bachelor, Specialist, Master level experts in the field of Geography. The Department lecturers can participate in preparing economists and psychologists at the Faculties of Economics and Philosophy respectively of the Ivan Franko National University of L’viv.
|Senior Department SecretaryMariia Fedorus||Senior Department Secretary|
|Senior Department SecretaryOryslava Tymchuk||Senior Department Secretary|
The social-geographic school founded by the Doctor of Philosophy Hryhorii Velychko and Acad. Stepan Rudnytskyi is developing at the department. It covers the following directions of modern scientific research:
- TheoryandmethodsofSocialGeographyintheperiodofscienceand practice informatizationand the development of globalizing processes (Prof. O. Shablii, Prof. I. Rovenchak, Assoc. Prof. V. Hrytsevych, Assoc. Prof. M. Knysh, Assoc. Prof. M. Vlakh);
- Geographic Country Studies and Area Studies (Prof. O. Shablii, Prof. I. Rovenchak, Assoc. Prof. O. Vistak, Assoc. Prof. M. Knysh, Assoc. Prof. S. Kuzyk, Assoc. Prof. V. Stetskyi, Cand. Sci. (Geog.) Assoc. Prof. Ya. Ivakh);
- Social–geographicUkrainianStudies( O. Shablii, Prof. I. Rovenchak, Assoc. Prof. O. Vistak, Assoc. Prof. M. Vlakh);
- Demographic and socialGeography(Prof. O. Shablii, Prof. I. Rovenchak, Assoc. Prof. M. Biletskyi, Prof. M. Vlakh, Assoc. Prof. V. Hrytsevych, Assoc. Prof. I. Hudzeliak, Assoc. Prof. S. Kuzyk, Cand. Sci. (Geog.) O. Mamchur, Postgrad. O. Tymchuk);
- Economic Geography( O. Shablii, Assoc. Prof. M. Vlakh, Assoc. Prof. M. Knysh, Assis. I. Vanda, Assist. L. Kotyk, Eng. I. Vovk, Postgrad. O. Horovyi);
- Politicalgeographyandgeopolitics( O. Shablii, Prof. I. Rovenchak, Assoc. Prof. O. Vistak, Assoc. Prof. M. Knysh, Postgrad. M. Myrosh);
- Mathematical cartography ( O. Shablii, Assoc. Prof. V. Hrytsevych, Assoc. Prof. M. Knysh, Head of University Laboratory of „Complexatlas cartography” Cand. Sci. (Geog.) T. Kravets);
- Historical geography( O. Shablii, Prof. I. Rovenchak, Assoc. Prof. O. Vistak, Assoc. Prof. M. Vlakh).